Thursday, 19 March 2015

Book: Refuge by KJ Colt

Title: Refuge
Series: Klawdia (#2)
Author: KJ Colt
From: Review Copy
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: 3rd January 2014
Challenges: 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Having run away from her home to avoid having to kill the child growing inside her, Klawdia has trekked up and over the mountains, only to be discovered by Margan, the heir to the Whale tribe. Discovering that the Whales hate the Bears with a passion, Klawdia tells everyone that she is a member of the Fox tribe and begins to make herself a home, but things don't always go to plan.

I knew as soon as I finished Bear Heart that this was going to be one of those series that I loved, and I was right. Refuge drew me in just as much as book 1 did, and I am definitely looking forward to reading more from the world (though there is no more in this series itself at the moment, there is another series set in the same world!)

Klawdia took on a bit of a different journey in this book. Whereas Bear Heart seemed quite action driven, with Klawdia doing a lot of hunting, fighting and other things to prove herself as a man (because of the rules of the Tribes), Refuge saw her starting to go on more of an emotional journey, particularly with her feelings for both her child and the men in her life.

Whereas before Klawdia had two love interests, Jeykal and Skelkra, things definitely got shaken up in this book. It became clear that Skelkra had shown more of his true colours to other people, and not just to Klawdia, but also Klawdia seemed to sort out her feelings towards Jeykal and exactly what she wanted from him. For me I thought that it worked well!

Then there was Margan. I can't say I was 100% behind either of the men from Bear Heart for Klawdia, something just didn't click there (which I read as purposeful) but there was a chemistry and a good level of interaction between Margan and Klawdia that really worked for me!

I also loved the imagery that was created, particularly in regards to creating the setting and the culture of the Whale tribe. .It seemed vivid in my mind with a lot of colours and atmosphere. Normally I'm a character driven reader, so this setting really made an impact!

Refuge was a great read, I'm looking forward to reading more from KJ Colt!