Saturday, 21 March 2015

Book: The Playful Prince by Michelle M Pillow

Title: The Playful Prince
Series: Lords of the Var (#2)
Author: Michelle M Pillow
From: Review Copy
Genre: Sci-Fi, Paranormal, Romance
Release Date: 1st May 2011
Challenges: 2015 Prequel & Sequel Challenge (2 points)
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Dr Tori Elliot was looking forward to some R&R after her last mission, before she gets dragged into clearing up the mines on Qurixilian by the Human Intellegance Agency (HIA). Once there she meets the Var Ambassador, Prince Quinn, and starts to fight the intense attraction she feels for him, until she realises that she could have way more fun if she gives into him. But there are still threats to the fragile peace between the Var and the Draig, and Tori and her team need to save the day...

I think this is actually the longest I've gone between reading books by Pillow, and I had started to get a few withdrawal symptoms! I don't think I should leave it so long again! But I was quickly drawn back into the world of the Draig and the Var with The Playful Prince. One thing I do think though is that this series should definitely be read in order. Whereas the Dragon Lords series happened more or less concurrantly, the events of The Playful Prince only overlap slightly with the first Lords of the Var book, and then continue on. I'd also suggest reading The Dragon's Queen (the prequel to Dragon Lords) first as that gave some background to events in The Playful Prince.

I loved Tori as a character. So often you get the scientist who has been scared of sex, or never found the right person and so is really shy. So I loved that Tori was none of that. She was a confident woman who was interested in sex and was also highly intellegent and a brilliant scientist. It sounds like a really silly thing to like, but personally I think avoiding clichés is a great thing! I also felt that I could get on board with Tori as a character, which always makes the story more enjoyable.

I also really liked Quinn, I thought he was really sweet right from the word go. And actually, even if it took him a while to realise it, he was all for the one woman thing from the start as well. He didn't seem that reluctant to commit compared to Kirill in the previous book, and I think that some of that was his playful nature had a hand in that.

There were a few tense moments in The Playful Prince that had nothing to do with the romance and everything to do with the other events. I thought it worked in tandem and it worked well, allowing the two elements of the story to run side by side. Neither felt diminished and both were enjoyable.

I also loved the introduction of a brother to the leading female character (and the tie in with the Galaxy Playmates series, though I haven't actually read Sapphire yet). It added a completely different dynamic and I also thought that the relationship between Tori and her brother worked well.

This was a great read, as always! I'm looking forward to more in the series!