Thursday, 26 March 2015

Book: Aurora by Amos Cassidy

Title: Aurora
Author: Amos Cassidy
From: Beta then Amazon
Genre: Post-Apocalyptic
Release Date: 27th February 2015
Challenges: 2015 New Release Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon 

True and Oz have grown up close, as siblings on the run from just about everything. Oz earns money through the fights while keeping True safe and sheltered. But with their Ma's health rapidly deteriorating, things are about to change, and the truth about several things, including True and Oz's heritage and all that comes with that.

Firstly I need to state that Aurora will be reviewed slightly differently from normal, simply because I've read this twice, first as a beta reader and secondly as the available book. Some things have been edited and changed a bit, so it wasn't quite a re-read, but because I knew some of the main plot twists I read certain things (that may shock first time readers) in a slightly different way (and saw a few clues that I'd missed the first time!) I enjoyed Aurora when I beta read but enjoyed it even more this time around.

Aurora has two main characters, True and Oz, who on the surface seem completely opposite (for a pair of twins). Whereas Oz is a typical alpha male, True at first appears to be a fairly sedate, calm and nuturing female. Or at least at the very start. True's journey is the most remarkable, as she surprises even herself with her strength. Personally I love that as a character, True can be both soft and feminne as well as strong and level headed. She didn't have to be one or the other but it just worked.

Romance...well there's not much I can say about this without giving away some major spoilers (which I don't want to do!) But the romance in Aurora is complicated, in a way that I imagine it would be given the circumstances. I wasn't quite as sure about the way that it concluded when I beta read (I liked it overall but something didn't quite click) but this time round I found myself actually appreciating the nuances and think it ended right!

The secondary characters all worked well as well. This goes not only for love interests, but for the friends, allies and enemies that were created along Oz and True's journey. There are several of them that I would be interested to know more about, particularly those living inside Aurora, I think it makes a great setting!

I loved Aurora the first time around (which was May/June-ish in case anyone wants to know) but this time around I enjoyed it even more. This is a great writing duo!