Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Anthology: Bear Heart by KJ Colt

Title: Bear Heart
Series: Klawdia (#1)
Anthology: Fierce
Author: K J Colt
From: Review Copy
Genre: Fantasy
Release Date: 23rd May 2013
Anthology Release Date: 10th March 2015
Challenges: N/A
Links: Goodreads - Amazon
Anthology Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Klawdia has to prove herself. As a girl born into a land where the chief position is passed from father to son, she has to prove herself in the Bestial Challenge. If killing a bear with only a knife isn't hard enough, Klawdia also needs to avoid betrayal at the hands of the person she thought she loved, as well as the politics of people not wanting a woman in charge...

So I may be guilty of getting a little too into Bear Heart! I've been excited to read a book by KJ Colt since learning that she shared a street team with Terah Edun, an author I have enjoyed every book I've read from! And Bear Heart definitely didn't disappoint!

One thing I particularly liked was that this wasn't a fantasy that revolved around magic, but instead the story went based on the main characters strength, both inner strength and physical strength (let's face it she had to kill a bear, she's no weakling!) and she didn't have over powered magic to help her. Never the less, I loved having a strong female lead, and Klawdia definetly provided that.

I also liked the fact that even though she was a strong female character, Klawdia still had emotions and still felt that she could have them. Often they can get left to the side with some female characters. In fact, to some extent I'd go as far as to say that Klawdia's emotions made her seem stronger, and helped her make choices that she wouldn't have otherwise been able to make.

The way I read the book there were two potential love interests, though one was a lot stronger than the other, and I don't think Klawdia even truely realised that one was there. There was an obvious alpha male type and then the more caring friend, and I know which I would choose for her!

I loved Bear Heart and look forward to reading more from KJ Colt!