Sunday, 22 February 2015

Book: Wolf Bride by Elizabeth Moss

Title: Wolf Bride
Series: Lust in the Tudor Court (#1)
Author: Elizabeth Moss
From: Netgalley
Genre: Historical Romance (Tudor)
Release Date: 29th August 2013
Challenges: Winter COYER, 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge
Links: Goodreads - Amazon

Eloise Tyrell is a maid of honour to Queen Anne Boleyn and enjoys her position at court, as well as spending time with her sweetheart, Simon. But when her father appears at court to tell her she is to be married to Lord Wolf, her life changes forever. Though an unknown to her, Eloise can't help but be attracted to Lord Wolf and react to him, though she'll stop at nothing to keep him from discovering that, even if it could mean a happy marriage.

I enjoyed Wolf Bride, but has one major issue with it. To me it didn't feel Tudor period, it felt more like a regency romance, and I had problems with that. There was a bit at the start of the book where I thought it looked really promising, and then briefly the plots and intrigue that I tend to associate with the Tudors came into play a little bit, but for the most part it just seemed side lined.

I think some of this was to do with the name choices. Eloise and Simon both seemed quite modern names compared to most 'traditional' names used in Tudor fiction (thinking Mary, Margaret, Elizabeth, Catherine, Anne, Eleanor etc) and I get that authors want to be different and original but for me it just didn't work. Also at no point was Lord Wolf's first name discovered, and I did think that that was a bit weird.

Very very minor spoiler (to do with Anne Boleyn): I also got quite excited over the idea that this book started off seeming to portray Anne Boleyn as guilty. Now in my opinion I very much doubt that Anne was guilty, and I think she was a remarkable woman for several reasons (after all how many women can say they had a church formed for them, or die without placing the blame on the shoulders of the culprit), but I was interested to see a fictional author outright saying she was guilty. Except I was wrong, and it back tracked a bit later on in the book to my disappointment.

Saying that, I loved the romance between Wolf and Eloise (even if it did feel regency-esque) and how it changed from indifference, to lust, to love. The gradual change worked well in my opinion, though they never really hated each other to begin with. At times I wanted to bang their heads together as well for not realising that they really cared for each other, but that was all part of the story.

I also really liked the fact that several side characters were quite involved with the story, including Eloise's father, her sister Susannah, and Wolf's friend Hugh (who did get a first name!) Often in romances the other characters could get sidelined! But not in this one.

I enjoyed the romance in Wolf Bride, but I didn't feel like it was overly Tudor-ey.