Tuesday, 10 February 2015

Book: The Obsession by Liliana Lee

I received a copy of The Obsession from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Princess Shanyin is used to powerful men, with her brother the Emporer sometimes needing steering in the right direction. With a harem of men at her beck and call, she never has to worry about being satisfied, yet there is one man who has captured her eye. Yuan is a nobleman in his own right, and Shanyin wants to possess him, his refusal of her only fires her passions more and makes her determined to break him.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I'm having a superficial moment and have got to point out  my admiration for the cover of The Obsession, and of its sequels, all of which I really like the cover art for. However I can't help but feel that the covers hide the true worth of the book.

I picked up The Obsession cause every now and again I quite like the idea of a book that is basically a little story and a lot of sex. After all, which of us don't actually like some erotica every now and again. What I got with The Obsession surprised me, mainly because there was far more to it than I anticipated, so much so that I actually found myself reading it more for the plot than the sex.

In fact I actually found the sex scenes in general to be a bit of a let down. The tension between Shanyin and Yuan grew well in the book, mostly because of the denial on one or both of their parts, and you could see that they were both attracted to each other and a connection growing. But the sex between Shanyin and her various concubines fell a little bit flat for me. Because of the slave and master relationship they didn't really flow well for me.

What did work was the political aspect. Shanyin was quite involved with her brother's government, and that meant that she was often thinking about political implications. It was good to have a female character so concious of this, and it also teamed up with her human side, whereas many characters seemed to think she was quite hard, it quickly became clear that she actually cared.

The Obsession surprised me I will admit, and in a good way!

The Obsession counts towards Winter COYER, 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge