Wednesday, 18 February 2015

Book: Blaze of Glory by Mandy M Roth

Title: Blaze of Glory
Series: Prospect Springs Shifter (#1)
Author: Mandy M Roth
From: Review Copy
Genre: Western, Sci-fi, Paranormal
Release Date: 8th September 2011
Challenges: Winter COYER
Links: Goodreads - amazon

Ten years ago, Molly was forced into something she didn't want, causing her to run away and toughen up in order to survive in a man's world. Even though she doesn't realise, Jonathon, her childhood sweetheart and now the sheriff of Prospect Springs, marked her as his, something that may just save her from a fate far worse than she could imagine...

I've been looking forward to reading a book by Mandy M Roth ever since I heard about her, and now I've finally had a chance. I'm very glad to say that I wasn't disappointed either! I really enjoyed Blaze of Glory, and was surprised at how quickly I read it!

The first thing that really got me was the genre. In some ways I actually found it quite hard to pin down a genre, because there was a little bit of everything in there. It almost seemed like the author had decided on a load of genres they liked and wanted to do all of them, the best of it was that I actually thought it worked really well! There were quite strong paranormal elements, both with shifters and other magic, but mixed in with that there was also a Western style setting, and a post-apocalyptic vibe. This all came together to create a world that has me very intrigued.

I liked the fact that the hero and the heroine already liked each other, and already wanted each other. There wqas no fight to get them to admit their attraction to one another and no yielding as such. This made a change from most fiction, and though I don't actually mind romantic strife it is nice to have  a break from it! Particularly when the world was so interesting.

While the story focused mainly on the hero and heroine, there were other characters that were introduced. Jonathan's brother Parker and cousin, Eli, were two, along with Molly's friends Cole and Lynn, all of who I'm now interested in finding out more about, the glimpses into their characters just got me intrigued!