Monday, 12 January 2015

My Thoughts On...Mood Reading

Sorry! I know I've missed a fair few of these, things just seemed to get  a little hectic/unmotivated to do this. So anyway, a lot of talk has seemed to be going on about mood reading, so I thought I'd give my take on it.

This seems particularly relevant considering the Christmas/New Year time just passed where there wasn't all that many blog tours/deadlines to stick to, meaning that I had much more flexibility to choose what I read when (not that I don't do that anyway to be fair!) Weirdly though, at some points I felt a bit lost about choosing what to read!

I'm first to admit, I'm definitely a mood reader, if I don't fancy the book I'm reading at the time I'll move onto a different book and come back to it. Luckily I'm normally able to tell what kind of genre mood I'm in so am able to decide what book I want to read. But I am terrible at self imposed deadlines. I don't like the idea of having to read a book by a certain time unless someone else has imposed it!

Weird I know...meaning that blog tours are great for me, I have to read a certain book by a certain date and there's no way around it. I've used blog tours for that reason (it gives me a bit of structure) and to take dives into new genres, and I've found some great authors through it. But I still sometimes find I have to put a blog tour book down and read another!

So I'm a mood reader who likes some structure...bit of a contradiction there I know!

What are your thoughts on mood reading? Do you do it? Or do you like to stick to a strict schedule?