Friday, 16 January 2015

Book: The Quiver of a Kiss by Sarah Daltry

I received a copy of The Quiver of a Kiss in exchange for my review. 

At nearly 19, Helen is already known for her beauty when Thesius kidnaps her with intentions to make her his bride. Though Helen knowa she shouldn't,  she can't help but enjoy the feelings he brings out in her. When her brothers recover her they discover that she is no longer pure and want to marry her off as soon as possible. Though her hand is won by Menalous,  Helen's choice falls on the handsome and caring Odyssious, introducing her to a passion she had previously not encountered. Several years pass and Helen meets Paris, Prince of Troy, and sparks the war between Troy and Sparta that became legend...

Link to Goodreads 
Link to amazon 

I'm not 100% sure how I feel about this book, there were bits of it that I really liked and bits of it I wasn't too keen on. Helenof Troy has always been an intriguing character to me, after all is she ultimately selfish woman or was there more too her? And ultimately wasn't Paris more in the wrong? She's a character I'm not sure why I haven't read more books about. 

Helen was quite sexualised in this book and I'm not sure how much I actually liked that. On the one hand I didn't want a character that rolled over when a man said to do so as some more historical women do, and yet at times it seemed that at some points all Helen was interested in was sex. 

However there were moments where more of a character came through. Helen seemed to try to ponder on if she was doing the right thing. And there were some moments that her maternal instincts came through as well, making her more accessible as a character. This was probably the saving grace. 

I really liked the way all the legendary characters were woven together, even if they weren't in the original story, and that the author didn't skip over things like how long the war lasted and other small details like that. 

Still not too sure what to make of it, but I don't feel like I wasted time reading! 

The Quiver of a Kiss counts towards Winter COYER