Friday, 30 January 2015

Book: The Pleasure Principle by Jane O'Reilly

I received a copy of The Pleasure Principle from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Verity has always settled for mediocre bed partners and fantasies about better. But when Cal walks in on her crying after she discovered her ex wrote a bad review on a website called ratemyshag, everything changed. Cal is determined to show Verity that she is worth something, and that that something is much better than her ex gave her. Verity is going to take some convincing though…

Link to Goodreads

I quite liked Cal as a character. It surprised me slightly after meeting him in the first book, Guilty Pleasures, and basically discovering that he as ultimately a lot of a voyeur. But of course there was always going to be more to him. In this case it was that he actually seemed to care about Verity and how Verity felt, both physically and emotionally.

Verity on the other hand annoyed me in places and she really shouldn’t have. The reason she annoyed me was because of all her insecurities, which weren’t really her fault when it comes down to it, but ultimately I couldn’t help find annoying. She didn’t feel attractive, or like she was good in bed, but even when Cal told her she was she didn’t believe it. So basically Verity was a normal woman, but in this case I didn’t like that so much.

Saying that there was some crazy chemistry between them, there were several scenes that really worked (and some that I wasn’t so sure about) and it felt like they were progressing at a good pace for their relationship (basically benefits followed by actual emotion.

I thought The Pleasure Principle was enjoyable nut didn’t make me sit up and go ‘wow’.


The Pleasure Principle counts towards Winter COYER & 2015 Netgalley & Edelweiss Challenge