Friday, 9 January 2015

Book: Broken by Susan Kaye Quinn

I received a copy of Broken in exchange for my review.

Having been caught, Lirium finds himself held captive by the mob alongside Ophelia. With Ophelia barely functioning thanks to the energy drain that had been done on her. Never having worked for the mob before, Lirium finds himself faced with things he's never before done, and things that he doesn't particularly want to do. But sometimes running away isn't an option, and he is about to learn that not everything goes the way of the good.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

Well I said that I thought there was something off about Ophelia in one of my previous reviews, potentially in my review of Agony, and Broken pretty much answered why I thought there was something off about Ophelia. I do enjoy being right! Weirdly at the same time I was actually really sad for Lirium cause he seemed to like Ophelia and was upset by the events tha involved her in Broken. 

Though Lirium seems to have trouble with accepting that he's actually a decent person, Broken went even further to proving that he was. Though Debt Collecting in concept is actually a morally grey area, Lirium does seem to have some morals and he'd much rather stick to them. Even more than that, he doesn't seem to want to survive if he has to do it by being a bad person. I just really like him as a character.

There was a little more learnt about debt collecting in Broken, though not as much as in the first three, which I think was necessary. There seems to be a lot of information missing from Lirium's education about the true nature of debt collecting, and I'm definitely interested to know more about it, and what Lirium will do with that information.

Broken counts towards Winter COYER.