Wednesday, 31 December 2014

End of 2014 Round Up


I can't believe 2014 is now over! I've really struggled to come up with a way to sum up 2014 without just listing all the books that I've read (because quite frankly that would take me far too long to put together, and far too long for anyone else to bother reading! According to Goodreads I've read 470 books which beat my goal of 1 a day (365 books) by a fair few, though I don't think I'll be increasing the goal for 2015, that would probably end badly! 

2014 has been a pretty big year for me actually! I graduated from University with a BSc in International Business and Modern Languages (French), passed my driving test on the first attempt, and received a publishing contract for Awakening, as well as getting a short story published in an anthology called Touched by Shadow Caressed by Light.

I completed one challenge this year, COYER Summer Vacation (or at least that's all I think I completed!) which is all I signed up for, though I have signed up a few more this year! And bigger than that I'm now hosting my own challenge alongside Michelle at Because Reading called the 2015 Bookish Resolutions Challenge!


So...the Books!

I thought it may be better to go via genre and pick out some of my favourite books of the year, that way all books have a fair (ish!) chance!

Romance 

Romance is a genre that I only really got into because of blogging, before that I'd preferred to read more dysotpian and fantasy literature, but this year I read Vengeful in Love by Nadia Lee, which is a book that has definitely led me to an author that I love! Each subsequent book from Nadia Lee has also gained a review! A series that definitely needs mentioning here is Lynda Aicher's Wicked Play, which I read totally out of order but fell in love with none the less, book one is Bonds of Trust (you can find the others linked from the tabs at the top of the page). And also Sabrina Lacey as an author in general! I've loved her Hearts series (starting with Throbbing Hearts), I Love My... series (starting with I Love My Breakup) and her Stand Close series (starting with Stand Close 1). Finally the series that blew me away from book 1...No Weddings by Kat Bastion and Stone Bastion, starting with a book of the same name, Hannah and Cade are quite possibly my favourite couple of the year! The stand alone book that DEFINTELY needs a mention is The Wright Brother by Marie Hall, which was one of the most beautiful and emotional books I've ever read.

Science Fiction/Space Opera 

Another genre that I haven't read all that much from before is Science Fiction (including Space Opera), and yet this is definitely one that I've been missing out on! A series that I've been introduced to and loved was D.I.R.E by Joni Hahn, book 1 of which is Agent I1 Tristan. Another Sci-fi book that really grabbed me was Star Thief by Jamie Grey, and the sequels have been just as good! Also worth a mention is the romance sci-fi series ES Siren, written by Mel Tescho, Denise Rossetti and Shona Husk (currently 6 books and starts with Yours to Uncover, Yours to Command and Yours to Desire). 

Dystopian

The Bionics by Alicia Michaels not only introduced me to a great new series but a great new author, whose books span romance and fantasy books as well (and I'm pleased to say I've read them all!) Breaking away from the YA dystopian formula was The Woodlands by Lauren Nicolle Taylor, another book that definitely captured my attention! Another more adult dystopia is The Line series by Anne Tibbets (starting with Carrier). This is a book that actually made me cry due to the emotion and writing.

Fantasy

The Clean Teen Publishing tour that I did in January introduced me to a range of great books (some of which appear in other genres above and below) one of which was The Key by Jennifer Anne Davis, which I've now read books 2 and 3 (Red and War) both of which were just as good! One of my favourite writing duos released some fairy tale retelling novellas including Sleeping with Beauty, which the amazing Amos Cassidy even dedicated to me! The other new fairy tale retelling series I've been introduced to this year is Blood Prince by Jennifer Blackstream, which starts with Before Midnight.

Paranormal/Urban Fantasy

One of the best is actually a book that the review for hasn't been published yet, Luck of the Dragon by Susannah Scott, but other stand outs include Chronicles of the Uprising by KA Salidas, starting with Dissension, and Awakening by Jeanie Grey.

Historical Fiction

This isn't a genre I read all that much of, but there have been a few very good books from this genre this year! These include Queen of Someday by Sherry D Ficklin and The Gladiator's Bride by Nhys Glover. The latter of which I very nearly passed over but am very glad that I didn't!

Obviously this is just a selection of the books that I've read! You can see them all by exploring the tabs across the top of the page! 

Good luck in 2015! Happy New Year!