Monday, 10 November 2014

Book: Everlastingly by Michelle M Pillow

I received a copy of Everlastingly in exchange for my review.

Maura is trapped in a room seemingly with no doors, and has to find a way to escape. Constantly finding a small door and a skeleton key she keeps following the path, which keeps bringing her back to Jack. Jack knows that she has to remember the truth of her past for herself but reminds her of Everlastingly. As bits and pieces of her memory return, the events leading to Maura's entrapment become clear, though sometimes the truth is even more shocking than the fiction...

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

Everlastingly threw the reader straight into the story. Right from the first word there was little doubt that Maura was in trouble, but it was also clear that there was no idea exactly what that trouble was. I thought that it was exciting to be along with the character for the ride and really liked the fact that as a reader I was kept in the dark. Though I did have several suspicions while reading, it wasn't until about two thirds of the way through the book that I figured out what exactly was happening.

The use of repetition in the story was certainly interesting, and there was a slight double take where I thought I'd accidentally gone back a few pages (which I've definitely done before by accident). Though when I realised what was supposed to be happening I thought that it worked well, and added to the plight of the character.

One thing I'm still not all too sure about is whether the ending is happy or just bittersweet. I won't say what it is (because that would be mean!) but I do wonder, though I suppose it depends on how you take the events. One character was very very sweet towards the other, which does make me lean towards out right happy.

And finally...just look at the cover and how pretty it is! They say don't judge a book by it's cover (and I didn't) but isn't it just amazing! Everlastingly was defintiely worth a read!