Sunday, 2 November 2014

Book: The Cook's Friend by Alastair Williams

The Cook's Friend is a collection of quotes, pieces of wisdom, proverbs, recipes and advice about a wide variety of subjects relevant to cooking and being a cook.

The Cook's Friend is only available in hardback.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I love to cook, though I'm mostly a baker myself. When I saw The Cook's Friend I thought that it sounded interesting and funny, so thought I'd give it a go. The Cook's Friend is definitely an interesting and easy read, each section isn't all that long and the language used is all understandable (and I would say it was for a complete food novice as well).

There was information on just about everything imaginable, from wine to napkins, and even a section on how best to use a fridge and freezer. I found that a fair bit of it I knew, though there were some interesting facts that I had no idea about (e.g. the origin of the word 'honeymoon') as well as some things that I just hadn't thought of. The book does include images, which I thought were particularly useful at times such as when napkins were described.

The recipes in The Cook's Friend were definitely more interesting than usable, though personally I liked them like that. They were for things such as kangaroo tail soup and the like. Though if you did want to make it I thought that the recipes were actually very clear in what to do.

The one thing I wasn't so sure about was passages every now and again which were focused on one word. I won't lie, to me they just seemed like a bit of nonsense, but they weren't actually included often enough to ruin the book for me!

I enjoyed reading The Cook's Friend, it was full of interesting information and several facts that I had no idea about. It would be a very easy book to dip in and out of as the mood takes you.