Saturday, 15 November 2014

Book: Break Out by Nina Croft

I received a copy of Break Out from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Skylar has a mission, though she isn't exactly sure why she's carrying it out, she just knows that as a soilder, it isn't her place to question just to do. To carry out the mission she chooses the El Cazador, a space ship captained by Tannis, a genetically modified, and standoffish, woman and owned by womanising vampire, Rico. Skylar chooses them because she knows that they will want to do the impossible; break a man out of maximum security prison. Rico loves women, blood and sex, but as soon as he sees Skylar he doesn't want anyone else, the problem is getting her to surrender when they both know what her blood will tell him...

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

A space travelling adventure having vampire...first time I've ever said that, but basically what isn't there to get excited about? At first I was a little apprehensive about the idea of a vampire in space, there's a part of me that likes my genres to stay seperate...but I loved it. I thought that Nina Croft brought romance, sci-fi and paranormal together really well, and actually it kind of makes sense that vampires would like space, as Rico points out there's no day up there.

The romance was between Skylar and Rico, and for once I found myself getting to know the male MC better than the female one, though I think that was because Skylar was just so secretive about herself. It was actually quite difficult to figure out exactly what Skylar was after, problem being that even she didn't know to some extent. Also I think that Rico's suspisions about her coloured that a bit, but to him they didn't actually seem to make that much of a difference.

The chemistry between Skylar and Rico was definitely there. And I liked the fact that they weren't jumping each other's bones every few pages, which definitely allowed the chemistry to grow that bit more between them, and ended up explosively.

There was a fair bit of action in Break Out as well, and there were a few moments where I was really hoping that the characters were going to do the right thing, but I wasn't too sure if they would. One thing is for sure, I'm definitely intrigued by the characters and am excited to see what else the series has in store!