Thursday, 2 October 2014

Book: Child of the Sacred Earth by Alicia Michaels

I received a copy of Child of the Sacred Earth, book 2 of the Lost Kingdom of Fallada, in exchange for my review.

Jocelyne has lived a hard life, and at twenty her main goal is to get a good job so that she can officially adopt her foster siblings. Or it was, until Rothatin and the brothers Grimm turn up and tell her that she is a lost Princess of Fallada. Returning to her homeland answers some questions that Jocelyne has always had about her past, though it also puts her in great danger, particularly where her step-mother Eranna is concerned. Meanwhile Desdemona (worried I may have spelled that wrong) is struggling with the knowledge that Eranna has kept her trapped and away from her true gifts, which leads to her making a decision that will change the course of her life.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I don't think I have words! I absolutely loved Child of the Sacred Earth and I even think that I liked it more than I liked Daughter of the Red Dawn so I have a feeling that by the time the last book of the series comes around there will be nothing to compare to it!

I loved Jocelyne as a character. The biggest thing about her was that she was strong and independent, there was no need for her to be protected as such because she helped with doing it. Though this is also because she knew about her powers already and had been working with them on earth. There was also the love that she had for her three foster siblings that made her stronger and more determined.

Of course Jocelyne's independence had some interesting affects on her love life, with both Rothatin and Eli (a panther shifter) gaining a piece of her heart. From the offset I knew which one I wanted her to be with, which made the ending work well in my opinion, though I am still interested to see how that particular story ends. Even with two love interests I liked the way that that wasn't really an issue, it was a side plot to the main story and at no point did Jocelyne agonise over it, instead she got on with saving the world.

As well as Rothatin, the Brothers Grimm and Adrah, there were also other characters from the previous book(s) playing a role. Selena and Titus both made an appearance, and actually played an important role in the story, as well as Zara (from the prequel Beyond the Iron Gate) though she wasn't included in a way that I expected.

Running parallel to Jocelyne's story was that of her sister (well step-sister), Desdemona (still worried I'm spelling it wrong) which was interesting to see, particularly her interactions with Eranna and how that changed after she spoke with Zara. Its made me interested to see what her story will be like, but I know that is a way off as of yet!

I loved this book, this series is definitely going from strength to strength and I'm looking forward to the next book.