Monday, 20 October 2014

Blog Tour: Stormfront by K R Conway

I received a copy of Stormfront in exchange for my review.

Having survived the Breakers, Eila and her friends are getting back on their feet, trying to keep their secrets safe from the rest of their town, as well as hoping to keep Eila's true lineage secret. Eila is one of a kind, a half-breed between two enemies, the Mortis and the Lunaterra, something that should kill her but somehow doesn't. After Eila died in his arms, Raef decides that the best thing to do is to avoid touching her at all costs, something Eila is definitely not ok with. But as events transpire, Raef finds that his idea to not touch her wasn't a good one at all, and when he does they both find something they've been missing. The groups enemies are drawing closer, with other Mortis desperate to take out the last of the Lunaterra, starting with the two Mortis protectors that Eila has hanging around, Raef and Kian.

I was actually shocked when I discovered how long it was since I read Undertow (November, so basically in terms of books that is about 400 books ago). So as you can probably guess from that I didn't have the details of the book to hand before starting Stormfront (though I did remember basics and that I enjoyed the book). But they came back to me easily once I started reading Stormfront, which is definitely a sign of a good book.

The relationship between Eila and Raef was definitely better in this book, they'd progressed to the point where they both admitted that they wanted each other and they started to act upon it. Actually they acted on it more than I expected them too, probably to the point where I'd start classing this as a mature YA at least (basically there was nothing graphic but certain things were done and talked about). I thought that it was the right place in their relationship for those things to happen though, it felt like a natural fit for the story, the characters and the moment. Also the way that Raef's Fallen marks and Eila's kill mark react when they're with each other seems important, but is also kind of cute!

I tell you what though, the author knows how to pack one hell of an ending. Safe to say that was a cliffhanger, and definitely one that makes me desperate to read the next book (that I don't even know the name of and definitely isn't out yet!). There were several mysteries that need answering (and kind of can be by Ana's developed powers) including why Raef and Kian don't have scars, which I hadn't thought would be an issue until Rillian appeared.

I absolutely loved the way that the author had friends interacting with one another. Mainly this was Ana, MJ and Eila, who were all good friends and who didn't just talk about boys (which would definitely be a bit awkward for MJ) but defintiely had a solid friendship. There was also development in the relationship between Kian and Raef which I think makes them seem stronger as a team.

Rilllian was definitely an interesting character to add to the mix. It took me until the author actually revealed who he was to actually get a feel for him, which was great, I love being surprised! When it was revealed who he was I thought that it had a lot of potential, and will make the next book in the series particularly interesting.

I've very much enjoyed Stormfront, and can't wait to read more!


Stormfront (Undertow #2)
Release Date: 08/18/14

Summary from Goodreads:
Not long ago Eila Walker’s choices were limited: death by a bullet to the head, or at the hands of her beloved bodyguard, Raef. Now, five weeks after Raef triggered her power and she nearly leveled a historic mansion, Eila is dealing with the fall-out of her decisions. While she doesn’t remember dying in the arms of the soul thief who loves her, she knows that Raef remembers everything about the night he nearly killed her.

Now on the mend and attempting to keep one step ahead of the FBI, Eila and her team of misfits are desperate for a bit of normal. Eila is trying to navigate high school, while her BFF Ana is cautiously hanging with past-boyfriend and soul thief, Kian. Shape-shifter, MJ, is trying not to piss off his mother, while Raef is coping with his fears that Eila will never be safe.

But just as “normal” seems within their grasp, a powerfully built newcomer arrives. Raef knows the scarred man as a Blacklist Dealer – a soul thief, who peddles the names of humans who deserve to die. Eila, however, knows him as the protective hunter from the woods, who she nicknames Thor. Before long, Raef and Eila realize they’ve met the same killer, and he has one hell of a story to tell the five friends . . . if Raef doesn’t murder him first.


Buy Links:

Links to book one (Undertow):

About the Author
I have been a journalist for 15 years and serve on the Board of Directors for the Cape Cod Writers Center. I also drive a 16-ton school bus because I am ENTIRELY NUTS.

In addition to working jobs that should come with a warning label , I hold a BA in Psychos (Forensic Psych), torment the tourists about Jaws, and occasionally jump from the Town Neck bridge in an attempt to reclaim my youth.

I live on Cape Cod with two smallish humans who apparently are my kids, my fishing-obsessed husband, two canines (adept at both flatulence and snoring), and a cage-defiant lovebird that sleeps in a miniature tent. Nope - that's not a type-o. The bird is quite the indoor camper.

Author Links:



a Rafflecopter giveaway