Monday, 15 September 2014

Book: Damsels in Distress by Laura Kenyon

I received a copy of Damsels in Distress, thes sequel to Desperately Ever After, in exchange for my review.

Having been told by Ruby (aka the Fairy Godmother) that if she didn't return to her husband then Belle would cause everyone's curses to return, she has some thinking to do. Despite Ruby's threats, Belle still wants a quiet life at her inn with her baby and her dog, Beast. Rapunzel has finally caved to love, and though things are going strong with Ethan, she can't leave her best friend alone to cope...that is until the mysterious Gray arrives and sets Belle's pulse racing. Meanwhile, Dawn still feels that her marriage to Hunter is failing, and when a handsome face from her past (300 years in the past that is...) makes a reappearance, she has to make decisions she never thought she'd have to make.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I absolutely loved Desperately Ever After, so as soon as I was given a chance to review Damsels in Distress I jumped at it, and I wasn't disappointed! In fact the complete opposite was true, I expected the book to be good, and it went ahead and blew me away...the only problem being that I want more of the series already!

Damsels in Distress carried on with the stories of Rapunzel and Penny, though the two of them took more of a back seat than they did in the previous book (and Rapunzel plays  a large part in Belle's story anyway, so she was in a lot of the chapters), and Belle's story carried on in full strength (which was necessary as hers is definitely the one with most going on!). But in this book there was more from Snow and Dawn. Snow seemed to be the most happily married of all the characters til this book, though she does seem happy with Griffin, all she really wants is a child. And Dawn seemed a bit distant in the previous book, whereas here she really took on a personality and I found her actually quite likable.

What I loved about the previous book was how the happily ever afters were changed around, and this book was no different. In fact there were hints at several happy ever afters that surprised even me. Dawn's story in particular took a surprising turn, though personally I think it took the right one even if it did leave a devastating ending.

There were quite a few mysteries left at the end of Damsels in Distress (though like the last book it ended on a land mark occasion for Belle and the arc for this book was complete). Mainly, what is the PM up to, where are the Charm├ęs (no seriously...what happened to Cinderella!), Belle's baby, and Ruby...what happened there! I love the fact that this book just makes me want more!

Damsels in Distress is just the perfect blend of fairy tale and chick lit, making the fairy tale princesses far more modern and far more real life! Definitely a series to read!