Saturday, 26 July 2014

Book: Not Your Damn Submissive by Amy Valenti

I received a copy of Not Your Damn Submissive from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

When she finds out that the actor she's been lusting after for years, Callum Connors, is coming to work on her set, Kat books two weeks off. Not because she doesn't want to meet him, but because she's worried that if she meets him then she'll want to submit to him, something that both scares and thrills her. When Callum first sees Kat he knows he has to have her, not just with his body but with his heart. Being an up and coming actor, as well as a Dom, he uses all his charm, appeal and influence to spend time with Kat and to find out why she refuses to submit to him...but Kat's demons were always going to catch up with her, question is, can Callum show her he isn't the same?

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon
This book was so much better than I expected! (And I expected it to be good). I really liked the characters and the way that they interacted with each other as well as the way the relationship between them grew. I also liked the way that the narrative switched between the two characters so you got both perspectives, which I don't think I've ever seen in a book with BDSM elements before.

The BDSM itself plays a part in the book (as you can probably guess from the title) though I was slightly surprised in the way that it was used. Instead of being major scenes described there was actually only actually fairly mild activities described (and there were several 'vanilla' scenes, and some 'vanilla with sprinkles' which for the record was a description I thought fit well and in fact really like!). I came away from Not Your Damn Submissive feeling that the main focus of the submission was actually about submitting to the relationship and seeing where that went.

Though there was one part of the book that I really struggled to read and that was when Kat told Callum about her past. Not wanting to spoil too much, but it was basically a man that took her desires too far and caused a considerable amount of trauma. By that point of the story I was majorly invested in the characters so it was somewhat difficult to take in, which I think is a real teller about the author's ability to create a story and characters.

Now I really liked Callum as a character. At first he was a little pushy as a character, though that was his standard approach to someone wanting to submit I think, but as soon as he realised that wasn't working he changed tactics completely and became more caring and considerate. There were several points in the book where all I could think was that he was being really cute (and probably protective) and that he was really good for Kat.

Now their relationship itself...well once they got into one I thought it was actually a really healthy relationship, they truly cared for each other and it showed through the author's writing. Before they got together there was a lot of banter and a lot of flirting (whether Kat wanted to or not!) and again this was written in a way that really drew me in.

This is one of those books that (unfortunately) people will be put off by because of the subject matter of BDSM...all I ask is that you give it a go! The characters are sweet, funny and sexy and there is so much more to it than that!

Read as a part of the Summer COYER...to check out other posts and sign up click here. You can also check out my COYER Summer page on my blog to see what I've read!