Thursday, 24 July 2014

Book: Gilded Lily by Vivian Winslow

I received a copy of Gilded Lily in exchange for my review.

Having lived a sheltered life on the Upper Eastside, Lily is surprised when on the eve of her wedding she finds her fiancé, Jack, in bed with her twin sister. Despite being told that that's the way it is, Lily decides to call off the wedding, but still goes on the honeymoon to Rio on her own. While there she discovers more about herself than she ever thought possible, especially about what she considers right for a romantic and sexual relationship. Her morals are tested when a sexy married man makes his moves on her and she can't help but respond to the attraction.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

The lives of the rich are fascinating, particularly when they get to the point where they don't even think about the money that they are spending. And that fascination is one of the reasons I was drawn to read Gilded Lily. I liked that Lily as a character didn't conform to the ideals that were forced upon her, and had her own morals about what was right and what was wrong.

Saying that, Lily's morals did get pushed, and she did give in despite the fact that she tried to fight it, and that act in itself made her incredibly human as a character, and a character that I actually found I preferred to those that never erred from their moral code. This is namely because Lily was believable.

Though the real life attribute of the book may not appeal to some. Lily isn't a virgin, and neither is she in a relationship. Throughout the book there are three men that Lily ends up in sexual situations with (not at the same time) but in ways that made it seem as if it could happen. Now for me, it was clear that there is the potential for some higher story arc, though if you're more the 'one eternal love' kind of reader then this may not be for you.

I've enjoyed reading Gilded Lily, and am certainly intrigued by the set up into the next book, where I think that Lily will be more developed and the story progress.

Read as a part of the Summer COYER...to check out other posts and sign up click here. You can also check out my COYER Summer page on my blog to see what I've read!