Sunday, 29 June 2014

Book: A Happily Ever After of Her Own by Nadia Lee

I received a copy of A Happily Ever After of Her Own in exchange for my review.

Melinda has always been able to flit in and out of the fairy tales she reads, but this time it went wrong. While reading Beauty and the Beast she is arrested and it is revealed that Beauty has been captured by the Evil Witch and taken to her own world. Sent back to retrieve them, Melinda has the help of the Beast, in his human form, and she can't help but feel the attraction and affection between her and Edward. But Melinda can't steal Edward's happy ending with Beauty, especially when she is doing all she can to get the two of them back together.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I've already read and loved Nadia Lee's Hearts on the Line series (well what is released of it!) which is contemporary romance, but I must say that there is something magical about fairy tales that just can't be beaten, and the author has definitely respected to, and added to, the tradition. In fact there was one point where I actually had to stop to consider Beauty and the Beast and I don't think I'll look at it the same again (though considering the TV show Once Upon a Time changed that forever by making the Beast be Rumpelstiltskin - which I think was a brilliant move I might add).

Though most of the book took on the more traditional fairy tale style, I couldn't help but feel a kind of Alice in Wonderland/Alice Through the Looking Glass (sorry I think putting both is something to do with being a book addict!) vibe, particularly from the porcupines, which I liked! There was much less crazy that in Carroll's books, and it flowed seamlessly into the rest of the fairy tale.

I loved the interactions between Melinda and Edward. Though he was in human form (rather than as the Beast), Edward was really unaware of the world as it is today and understandably so. This created amusing moments, and interactions between the pair of them that added to their relationship. One of such was the idea that Melinda, as a woman, wasn't as capable as a man, and wasn't capable of looking after herself. Again I thought that that added to the dynamic and growing relationship between the two characters.

This is a very enjoyable fairy tale retelling, which retains the magic and is also different from the rest of Nadia Lee's books, well worth a read!