Saturday, 17 May 2014

Book: Secrets of the Unaltered by Leti Del Mar

I received a copy of Secrets of the Unaltered, book 2 of the Confederation Chronicles, in exchange for my review.

Having gone to the capital of the Confederation in order to find out about the enhanced soldiers they found in the woods, Flynn and Rose find life more difficult in the capital than anywhere else. Flynn has gone to work for a Botanist, who seems to do a lot more than just create flowers in the necessary colours, whereas Rose has returned to working at her father's hospital, and begins to study to become a doctor. Overtaken by her need to impress her father, Rose loses sight of both Flynn and their mission.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

It has been nearly a year since I read the previous book, Land of the Unaltered (you can find my review via the A-Z/Reviews by Genre pages) and I was slightly worried that I wouldn't remember enough about it to truly appreciate it (after all I have read a lot of books in that time). Thankfully I was very very wrong! As soon as I got into Secrets of the Unaltered (around page 2!) the events of the first book came back and I got dragged head first back into Flynn and Rose's world.

What I particularly like about Rose is that she isn't your typical dystopian heroine, meaning she's not one of the down trodden masses, instead she is the daughter of one of the most important people in the government, and for the first time you really see her use that power. The other thing I liked about her was that she wasn't perfect, she got distracted from her goal, and not by romance like many in her situation, but instead by her own goals. It may seem like something little to particularly like, but it makes her more real as a person.

There is romance in the book though, right from the beginning Flynn and Rose had an established relationship, but again it was slightly different from other dystopian romances because of the worries that Rose had about them (namely worries about if she was ready for sex). This made their relationship more real. This definitely isn't a cushy, everything perfect romance, and weirdly that makes it more perfect for me.

The dystopia got developed a lot more than in the previous book, and it became clear just how much Rose's father has to do with it and the controls put in place on the citizens (one of which was only revealed in the last chapter from Rose's point of view, but had previously been hinted at). It made what Rose and Flynn were doing far more imminent, whereas before it had sort of been a goal that was in the far off future.

This book drew me in as much, possibly more, than the first one did, and it has certainly left me wanting more!