Saturday, 24 May 2014

Book: A Night with the Bride by Kate McKinley

I received a copy of A Night with the Bride from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Gabriella and her friends are all unattached at one of the ton's parties and through boredom, Gabriella takes a dare to get the broody Duke of Somerset to kiss her. Though Nicholas overheard the dare, he is still drawn to Gabriella, and they both soon forget that it was just a kiss that was dared for...and that a scandal could damage both of their reputations.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

A Night with the Bride is a part of a series, called By Invitation Only, but it can be read as a standalone book. I have already read one of the other books in the series, A Countess by Chance, but short of a couple of the characters being mentioned briefly, there is nothing to be gained from reading the other books if you don't want to (well other than the gaining of having read a good regency romance with a bit of spice that is!)

Nicholas was a very complicated character, and unlike in other Regency reads, there is a focus on mental illness in characters, in this case Nicholas suffers from what I presumed was a form of OCD. I liked the way that the author successfully captured the way of thinking at the time, and the bias towards sufferers at the time, and then had Gabriella become the accepting minority.

Similarly there were many of the restraints of the Regency period made evident, though Gabriella, and even Nicholas, seemed to put themselves out there and not care, which made it a good read. Particularly regarding Gabriella standing up for herself. Not only were there probably women like that in the time period, but I don't think I could stand to read of a simpering woman with no backbone, so Gabriella was perfect.

The only thing I can really fault in this book isn't something the author or the story actually did wrong, and is totally down to the weirdness of my brain, and that was the American spellings. It doesn't normally bother me, but for some reason it did when I read American spellings when the book was set in England. Odd I know (and I probably only noticed because I'm English, and I wouldn't not read a book because of that anyway!)

I enjoyed this book, and the series, if you're after a quick Regency read then check these out!