Friday, 11 April 2014

Book: Holiday Gem by Paloma Beck

I received a copy of Holiday Gem from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

On his way back from a mission, Seamus is to pick up Gemma, one of the Seven Sinster sisters. When the mission goes wrong, and Seamus' best friend goes missing, he doesn't expect any other change to come along, and certainly not the change brought about by Gemma. Each of Gemma's seven sisters has a soul sin, and Gemma's is greed, which manifested itself in a greed for knowledge and control. Subject to panic attacks if something changes drastically, Gemma doesn't expect to find her mate until it happens. Now the bond between them means that Seamus and Gemma don't want to be apart, but Seamus still needs to find his best friend...

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

Though this book is a part of a series, you could read it on its own (as I did but I am definitely planning on reading more!) as it seems to be a well contained story, though there are hints at an overall story line.

Number one thing I liked about this book was the concentration given to the lore and background that applied to both Gemma and Seamus. In this case I think I picked up the right one first as Gemma is a researcher and so knows more about it than any of the other sisters potentially do. But at the same time she was still learning.

I've mentioned before that the only circumstances in which I am happy with love at first sight is in stories where a bond is important to the story line, and this is one of those cases. I actually enjoyed the idea of the bond, particularly as they didn't actually seem to rush to say I love you. Also there was no changing over night really, instead there was a gradual change in both Seamus and Gemma's personalities that reflected what really happens when you know someone that well.

I do want to know what happens to the couple now though, I thought that the ending came far too soon which just makes me want to read the next book (and probably the ones before Holiday Gem too might be a good idea!