Tuesday, 18 March 2014

Serial: Awake by Zachary Bonelli

I received a copy of Awake, the 12th and final episode of +Insomnium, in exchange for my review.

Having defeated Drogl and saved all of possibility, the trio decide that Nowhere isn't actually so bad, but their trip is cut short when Pathos begins to wake up. Forced to leave Nowhere, they each make a promise to the Farseer about what they will be like when they awaken at home. Alone in his flat, Nel tries to recall the details of his dream, and yet he can't seem to hold on to them. But his whole outlook on the life he was leading has changed, and he makes a decision about his relationship with Mika, and takes small steps towards helping get Earth back on track.

Part of me is still shocked that Insomnium is over, I didn't want it to end! And what an ending that was. The serial has ended on what can only be described as a bitter sweet note, with Nel (and presumably Gin and Rev) forgetting about what happened, but not about what he has learnt. I have to admit that part of me was hoping that they would stay in Nowhere so Nel and Gin could be together, and that Rev could be with Zer, but that seemingly isn't to be, and though the ending wasn't quite what I wanted, it was still a fantastic way to round off the story.

And there was a small nod to anyone who has read +Voyage: Embarkation with the name Anders (the surname of the main character, Kal) turning up, presumably as one of Kal's ancestors!

The serial as a whole has really drawn me in, with the vivid characters and imaginative settings taking you on an exciting, and sometimes emotional, journey, that includes some thought provoking moments. In this I am mainly referring to Rev's battle with his sexuality, and Gin's feelings of guilt that she has carried around with her for too long.

I think that it is pretty safe to say that I have never read anything quite like Insomnium before, and neither am I likely to again! Bonelli's unique writing style and stories are definitely worth a read if you haven't already!