Saturday, 1 March 2014

Book: Forbidden Surrender by Priscilla West

I received a copy of Forbidden Surrender from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Having flown to South Africa to meet a potential client, Kristen is faced with a man that attracts her in a way that no other does, and on top of that, he's a client. Vincent is used to getting what he wants, and he wants Kristen more than he's wanted anything else, and he will go to almost any lengths to get her. Though Kristen tries to distance herself from him, she finds it increasingly difficult to resist him, particularly when he reveals his more caring and affectionate nature that lives under his bad boy image.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

Confession time: I never thought that the name Vincent could be sexy, but West has certainly proved me wrong there, this Vincent seemed to have just about everything going for him, in a not too full of it way.

This book has gone and proved to me that my tastes have 'matured' with regards to the romance genre. If I'm reading a romance book (as in with no other genres mixed in) I find that young adult annoys me somewhat (as do books with pure sex for sexes sake - so erotica with absolutely no story). Whereas Forbidden Surrender supplied me with what I like most about romances, adult circumstances with adult characters that have real life hurdles to overcome. And yes there was a bit of sex in the book (towards the end I might add) but it wasn't the focus and without it the romance between the two leads wouldn't have seemed as real.

I thought that the pacing of the book, and of the romance, was good, and more importantly realistic. There was no mention of love after having known each other for a few days, which is a major faux pas in my opinion (unless it is in a paranormal or fantasy settings with mate bonds or something similar.)

Also the characters weren't perfect (which makes them perfect to me if that makes any sense!) and to me that makes a whole lot of difference. Forbidden Surrender provided a realistic and engaging romance as well as some moments that had me giggling out loud. And not to mention the swoon worthy hero!