Wednesday, 11 December 2013

Book: The Emerald Tablet by Joshua Silverman

I received a copy of The Emerald Tablet in exchange for my review.

Leoros has been dragged around landmarks of ancient importance for his entire life as his mother looks for her ultimate discovery. In Egypt, she finds the Emerald Tablet, which unbeknownst to him, beckons Leoros and he travels to an alternate world. Here he is found and initiated into the Amun priests. Befriending a slave girl called Atlantia, Leoros needs her support in accepting his fate as the saviour of those people.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I thought that The Emerald Tablet had some really interesting concepts in it, particularly the rivalry and amalgamation of the Ancient mythologies of both Greece and Egypt. At first I was slightly concerned about how this would work, but after getting going I found that, somewhat surprisingly it did. Though without the rivalry I don't think it would have worked. Saying that, at some points I did get a little confused, but I guess that was just one of those things.

The characters were interesting, particularly those who weren't all good or all bad, and I think that some of them were quite surprising in how they turned out. Sorry that this is all sounding a little bit vague and none specific but I don't want to spoil anything and am worried that in naming people I will do so.

One thing I found difficult though was remembering that Leoros and Atlantia were only young teenagers, they both acted so beyond their age at times.

The thing I liked about this book was the way that it crossed genres, it wasn't just mythology, magic or sci-fi, it was a mix of all three. Because of the way that it was explained though I think I would have to go with more sci-fi overall, but the fact that it can cross those boundries is a good sign to me!