Monday, 9 December 2013

Blog Tour: Silent Words by Chantal Fournier and Nicolas Lajeunesse

Silent Words is a Children's book written by Chantal Fournier and illustrated by Nicolas Lajeunesse. I received a copy of Silent Words in exchange for my review as a part of this blog tour.

Zelda loves to ask questions, but then one day, as a storm is brewing, her parents are swept away on a hot air balloon leaving Zelda behind. Zelda and her grandmother look everywhere for her parents, but can't find them. Returning to her grandmother's house, Zelda finds that she can no longer speak, and instead her words become a word cloud above her head. When the cloud becomes too big for the house, Zelda decides that it is time to try and find her parents again.

I'd say that this book is for older children, probably about 7 onwards, because of the length and the style of the prose. But also because of the concept of losing your parents, I don't imagine that many younger children would be particularly happy with that idea!

The prose itself flowed well, and I found that it told a lovely story of coming to terms with grief. I'm not sure how old Zelda is supposed to be, but she seemed to be a fairly old child from how she reacted.

The story itself was imaginative, I've never come across anything quite like it! And this was helped by the beautiful illustrations, which were unique and wonderfully created, even though I could only see them in black and white!


Welcome to Novel Publicity's Review Only Tour for Silent Words by Chantal Fournier (Author) and Nicolas Lajeunesse (Illustrator). Read the reviews and win some great prizes for following along as we introduce you to Zelda and her world of words.
Available NOW on Amazon and Barnes & Nobel
TourCover
ABOUT THE BOOK: Zelda loves to talk. She always asks a million questions and her head is full of words like apple, bunny, cartwheel and dwizzledoodle. But when a sudden storm turns Zelda’s world upside down, all her words go silent. Zelda must embark on a quest across mountains, forests and oceans to find her parents—and her voice. This moving tale about loss and hope will tug at your heartstrings. Author Chantal Fournier’s poetic storytelling style and illustrator Nicolas Lajeunesse’s evocative artwork combine to create a poignant story in which a child discovers comfort in the power of words.

Images

CHECK OUT THE TRAILER!

Together  ABOUT THE AUTHORS Chantal Fournier (Author) Originally from a small-ish city not too far from Montreal, I now live in Toronto, Canada, after a long stint on the beautiful Canadian West Coast, where I taught French to university students. Silent Words, the story of a girl floating on a peculiar cloud, is my debut book. It is the fruit of a long collaboration with my artistic husband, Nicolas. Nicolas Lajeunesse (Illustrator) As the son of a sculptor and the grandson of a painter, art has always been a part of my life. After studying filmmaking in Montreal and working with my father for a few years, I left my French-Canadian roots and headed for the West Coast, where I discovered digital arts. I live in Toronto, Canada, with my wife and family.

  THE GIVEAWAY a Rafflecopter giveaway