Friday, 1 November 2013

turn right down school lane (November)

If you want to take part in this meme then please do! Just make sure you share your link with me so I can go check it out!

Why I don't like Lord of the Flies


I read Lord of the Flies when I did my GCSE in English Literature.

This meme for me is all about revisiting the books that I studied in school, and unfortunately for me that involves Lord of the Flies by William Golding. Now here's the thing, I love dystopian fiction, as this blog attests to, and yet this book I've never been able to stand.

So here we are, the reasons that I don't like this book. Or at least why I think I don't like it. The principle reason I think is that because of the lack of female characters. I've mentioned before that I have this thing about wanting to relate to the characters in books that I'm reading, and that just wasn't possible for me in Lord of the Flies.

Also, it is such a disturbing concept if you think about it, I mean children killing each other and generally running amok? I'm first to admit I read some pretty weird things sometimes, but this one was just too much for me...or it was too much for me at 14 anyway!

So there you have it, a rarity, as in a book that I actually didn't like, strange I know!