Monday, 18 November 2013

Book: One Thousand and One Nights by Ruth Browne

I received a copy of One Thousand and One Nights from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

In the years since the zombie apocalypse, Sheri and her sister survived hand to mouth, until they found Alex's compound. But Sheri has a bite, and that alone should have killed her. But Alex sees something about her, so she spends her nights telling Alex stories while chained to his wall, all the time trying not to fall for him.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I never thought that I'd be into Zombie stories, but here we are and I've read and enjoyed several! Though the Zombie stories I've been seeming to enjoy reading are mainly romance ones (work that one out why don't you!) rather than all flesh eating gore. So if that's what you're looking for, then I suggest you look elsewhere!

One Thousand and One Nights contains scenes of a sexual nature, both in the form of flashbacks, and in the present day. It isn't out of place, simply because of the attraction between Sheri and Alex. Despite the barrier between them that Sheri's zombie bite causes, they are intrigued and attracted to each other. In my opinion it parallels the Beauty and the Beast story that Sheri tells her sister in the story, something which I think was done on purpose!

The zombie lore (for want of a proper word for it) surrounding Sheri was interesting. Where most people turn in almost seconds, Sheri managed to survive the bite with very few side effects, in fact I really want to read more about Alex and Sheri, particularly what Sheri is and if she is the answer to the zombie apocalypse.

What I liked was that there were flashbacks which explained how Sheri and her sister, as well as Alex, got to the compound, and how they found out about the zombie infection. Quite often that seems to be forgotten by people writing this genre!

I really enjoyed One Thousand and One Nights, and I'm really hoping that there will be more from Browne to look forward to!