Tuesday, 19 November 2013

Book: Diana by the Moon by Tracy Cooper Posey

I received a copy of Diana by the Moon from Netgalley in exchange for my review.

Diana was always looked over in her British Roman family for the simple fact that she was born a girl. But when Saxons raid their villa her life changes forever. A year later, she is still trying to piece back together her people's lives, when Alaric, Arthur's right hand man, comes across her villa wanting to put a beacon on her hill. Little does she suspect the effect that the Celtic solders will have on their life, particularly when the local bishop starts making life harder for Diana.

Link to Goodreads
Link to amazon

I've read some of Tracy Cooper-Posey's books before (you can find them via the reviews by genre tab), and so when this one came up on Netgalley I decided to give it a go. And am I glad that I did! I mentioned in my previous reviews that I thought that there was less emphasis on sex, then the story would be far more engaging, and that is what this one gave me, much less sex, much more of everything else that makes a good story!

First off you have the character of Diana, and I've said before that I particularly enjoy reading strong female characters, and that is definitely what I got here! Diana is a woman before her time, determined to keep a hold on what she wants, and determined to keep her people safe and fed. What I liked with her character as well was that it was possible to see her gaining the respect of the other characters. She actually had to work on it, and by working on it she grew.

The main story that I felt was being told apart from Diana's development as a person, was the love story between Diana and Alaric, though at times I really wanted to bang their heads together because they were so oblivious to their feelings towards each other! They had real issues to overcome though, and I think that they did it in a particularly believable way.

I should mention though that this book doesn't skirt away from the horrors of war and persecution, they are mentioned, and they affect more than one character. Though I do think that Cooper-Posey has done that in a tactful way, so that they don't taint the story but are definitely a part of it.

This has definitely proved to be my favourite book by Cooper-Posey before, and I will most certainly be keeping an eye out for more of her works!

Clean out your E-reader Challenge Sign-up