Thursday, 31 October 2013

Spotlight & Review: Crimson Night by Marie Hall

I received a copy of Crimson Night as a part of this spotlight blitz and in exchange for my honest review.

Pandora is a half demon and has been around a long time, though unlike her other brethren she likes to think that she has some morals and rules that she sticks too. Whilst working at the carnival her demon family run, Pandora spots Billy, a man whom both herself, and her inner demon (Lust) instantly want. But there is more going on than there first seems, and Pandora is warned that her friends and her enemies may be different from who she thought they were. Can she figure out which is which?
Crimson Night provides you with the classic 'evil' being who wants to be good, and I put evil in quotation marks cause I personally wouldn't really classify Pandora as being evil. The difference that this book has is that the being that wants to be good is the first person narrator, rather than simply being observed by the first person narrator (e.g. things like Twilight, apologies for mentioning that!).

The way in which the book was written also added a certain amount of difference to the narrative, as there were certain elements of the second person narrative. For anyone that is unaware as to what the second person narrative is (of which I was one until fairly recently), if you imagine writing a letter and talking to the recipient, i.e. using you. For a lot of the book Pandora does make side comments to the reader using you, and most of those side comments are comic relief.

The plot itself could have the potential to be quite dark and potentially twisted, and the comic comments from Pandora really help to alleviate that. In some books I don't think that that would work, however in this one it seemed to! And I really enjoyed it, I don't normally read books with such chatty narrators, though this one was so well written that I particularly enjoyed it.

One last thing, I mentioned in my brief synopsis that Pandora's demon was Lust, well as you can guess there are some scenes of a sexually explicit nature in Crimson Night, though they are simply part of the story. There are also some acts of violence, and some themes that younger readers may find distressing. You have been warned!

I really enjoyed this book! The combination of the paranormal, humour and action really worked for me!

Halloween6
synopsis
Welcome to Carnivale Diabolique ― or what I affectionately like to call the circus of the damned.


CrimsonNightMy name is Pandora, and though my face might not look familiar to you, you do know me. I'm a Nephilim. What does that mean? I'm half demon, what's my other name? Lust. I'm the dark craving that drives you mad, makes you want, makes you reckless and stupid. I'm the drug you'll do anything to get your hands on. But I'm not all bad. I fight for light, for goodness and truth. I love my job, killing vampires and werewolves, zombies, and freaks... it's what makes me happy. But people are starting to disappear and lately I've felt a dark presence lurking around me. I think it might be a reaper, that's not good. There isn't much a demon like me fears, but I fear them. This should have been easy, me killing the fanged freaks, getting rid of my pesky grim reaper, but I'm about to be betrayed by the one person I thought I could trust with my life and before the night is through I'll be covered in crimson...

badge-addtogoodreadsamazonbadge      nookbadge      kobobadge      smashwords

Deaths LoverEve Philips thought she could never love again. After her husband died in a hit-and-run accident, Eve poured her heart into her potions shop, Witch’s Brew, and hasn’t given any man a second glance—until Cian. As soon as she locks eyes with him, Eve knows she’ll never be the same. Gorgeous and mysterious, he incites a passion in her that she’s never felt before. And it’s almost otherworldly . . . Cian knows Eve is special the minute they lay eyes on each other. He’s a supernatural being with a dangerous duty, and being seen is not part of the job description. But when he meets the kind, beautiful Eve, all the rules go out the window. Now that his superiors have gotten wind of it, he has a wicked enemy on his tail. Yet all he cares about is Eve: loving her, protecting her—and finding the right time to tell her his dark and terrible secret, a secret that threatens both of their lives . . . badge-addtogoodreads

amazonbadge    nookbadge    kobobadge   ibookbadge   printbadge

about author
Marie Hall has always had a dangerous fascination for creatures that go bump in the night. And mermaids. And of course fairies. Trolls. Unicorns. Shapeshifters. Vampires. Scottish brogues. Kilts. Beefy arms. Ummm... Bad boys! Especially the sexy ones. Which is probably why she married one. On top of that she’s a confirmed foodie, she nearly went to culinary school and then figured out she could save a ton of money if she just watched food shows religiously! She’s a self-proclaimed master chef, certified deep sea dolphin trainer, finder of leprechaun’s gold at the end of the rainbow, and rumor has it she keeps the Troll King locked away in her basement. All of which is untrue, however, she does have an incredibly active imagination and loves to share her crazy thoughts with the world!
button-blogbutton-twitterbutton-websitebutton-facebook
giveaway