Sunday, 15 September 2013

Interview with Wren Figueiro

Laura: I would like to welcome Wren Figueiro and thank her for joining me on trips down imagination road! First, a little about her book, Atancia. 

Blurb:
After watching a young boy die, college freshman Atancia Clark begins to have panic attacks. Her heart flutters, her breath catches and she can’t control her emotions the way she always has. She wants to be strong, but lately she just hasn’t been living up to her own expectations. When she meets Ben Althaus, her breath starts catching for entirely different reasons. He helps Atancia discover the cause for her odd emotional reactions and the history she thought was lost when her mother left her. Atancia has power beyond that of an average girl, and Ben is by no means ordinary. He wants to help her hone her talents, but her focus is threatened by life-altering events. Add Ben’s entrancing brother, Matthew, to the mix, and Atancia’s lack of clarity could lead her down a destructive path.
Atancia is a paranormal romance novel for young adults. It is the first book of The Durand Duology.

Please read on for my interview with Wren!

Laura (L): What inspired you to write Atancia?

Wren (W): I was watching a science show and they were talking about how germs suck the energy out of the beings they infect. It made me wonder what would happen if people could transfer energy to themselves in order to appease the germs. Then, I expanded the idea to include the ability to fight free radicals and other things that make them age, eventually getting to a group of beings who are immortal because they can transfer energy directly from any living thing.

L: Which was your favourite character to write? And why? 
W: My favourite to write was Matthew because he normally never asks questions. He has the ability to make people tell him the truth just by asking something. It was a challenge to remember that he had to state things, not ask them.
  
L: Do you have any writing rituals?
W: I wish I had the time to! If that were the case, I’m certain I would have some. As it is, I just write whenever I get a free moment. If I don’t have enough time to get to my computer I jot things down in a notebook so that I won’t forget.
  
L: Have you got a reading guilty pleasure? (Whether that is something sweet you eat whilst reading or what you are actually reading!)
W: All the novels I can only read on my Kindle because I don’t want anyone to see the title!
  
L: What is the most memorable book from your childhood or school years?
W: Children of Morrow by HM Hoover. It was so memorable to me that even though I had read it when I was about twelve, when e-bay came around I searched for it because it was out of print and the copy I had read had belonged to my teacher. I was very excited when I found it and the other books in the series that I hadn’t had a chance to read.

L: What do you think makes a good book?
W: I like books that are unpredictable. I like it when the author keeps me in suspense, not letting me guess what’s going to happen. I also think that a good book has to have balance. I like the books I read to have a little drama, mystery, romance, tension. If one element is much stronger than the other then I start getting anxious, or worse, bored.

L: What fictional character(s) would you invite to a dinner party and why?

W: Tessa, Will and Jem from Cassandra Clare’s series The Infernal Devices because I love their wit and the way they interact—Magnus too. I think it would make for a fun evening. 

You can find Wren and Atancia on Facebook and Amazon