Saturday, 14 September 2013

First Annual Blogger Spotlight Tour: Melissa from Writer Grrl Reads


Welcome to the First Annual Blogger Spotlight Tour, hosted by The Closet Library  and This Girl Reads Alot, a Tour that introduces you to different book bloggers. So today I am spotlighting Melissa from Writer Grrl Reads, a book review blog. I was really excited when I was looking around Melissa's blog, not only is it easy to read, easy to find things and clear, but she has read (and loved!) quite a few of the same books as me...and caused me to add yet more books to my wish list!



Interview: 

I’d like to introduce Melissa, from Writer Grrl Reads. Thank you for being a part of the Blogger Spotlight Tour, and for answering my questions!

First, please tell us a little about yourself!

I live on the West Coast of Canada, in beautiful British Columbia.  It rains a lot here, which I love because it's the perfect weather to curl up with a cup of tea and a good book.  I'm a new mom to a baby boy, Marko, who's seven months old.  Prior to being a mom, I worked in a busy property management office as an admin assistant, and I'm currently trying to decide and plan for what I will do once my maternity leave is up.  I'm studying to be a Library Technician, so I'm hoping that I can find a job at a library soon.

What is it that you think makes a good book?

Wow, tough question!  There are so many things that I look for in a good book.  Consistency is key: if the book starts off strong and compelling, don't let the plot flat line.  Strong characters are a must.  For dystopians, I love a good world building where it's easy to understand how the world transformed into such a mess.

Have you ever chosen a book by its cover?

Hasn't everyone? =P

What is your strangest reading habit?

I don't think my habits are really strange, but I can't read a hardcover with the dust jacket on.  I can't dog-ear or write on the pages either.

Out of the books you’ve read in the past year, which would you recommend and why?

Most of the books that immediately jump to mind are book twos from several series (Fever, Pandemonium, Unravel Me and Through the Ever Night).  Since I haven't finished any of these series yet, I don't know if I can wholeheartedly recommend the entire series, but these second installments really wowed me!

Is there a book from your childhood or school years that has stuck with you?

Michael Ende's The Neverending Story.  I read it in Grade 6 when I was being bullied at school and fell head over heels.  I want to re-read it at some point, but I'm also scared that it won't have the same magic that it did at that time.

What book(s) are you reading right now?

I have developed a bad habit of reading two books simultaneously, ever since I got my Kobo e-reader.  I'm reading an e-galley of Wally Lamb's We Are Water as well as a physical copy of Rae Carson's The Crown of Embers.

Why did you start blogging about books?

I took a library course about social media, and we had to set up a blog as one of our course assignments.  We also had to prepare a list of online resources on a topic, and I chose YA literature.  Through this assignment, I discovered so many awesome book blogs, so I decided to start my own.

What is the best bit about reviewing and blogging about books?

I'd have to say the book blogging community.  I've made so many good friends in the past two years!

Are there any books that you’re looking forward to the release of?

My most anticipated release is probably Cress, the final book in the Lunar Chronicles.  I promised myself a few months ago that I wouldn't read any more series until all of the books are out, and I'm DYING to read Scarlet since I've heard such good things!  Oh, and Ignite Me and Into the Still Blue are definitely high up on the list.  And Lauren Oliver's newest book, Panic.  So much bookish goodness to come in 2014!

Visit Melissa on Facebook and follow her on Twitter

Visit the other Book Bloggers taking part in this tour:

September 8th 

September 9th 

September 10th

September 11th

September 12th 

September 13th

September 14th