Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Book: Quidditch Through the Ages by J K Rowling

This is one of the books that J K Rowling wrote and published in aid of Comic Relief, and its about 100 pages long. I read this cause my Dad surprised me for my 21st birthday (which was on Friday) by taking the family to the Harry Potter tour near London for the day (and because neither me nor Mum had read Quidditch Through the Ages we decided we needed to complete our collection!)



The book is a take on one mentioned in the Harry Potter Series itself, one that Hermione buys Harry I believe, and so details the origins of Quidditch and how it has come to be what it is at the time of Harry Potter.

I found that the book was really interesting, just like with Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, it shows that J K Rowling has a whole world planned out in her head that goes above and beyond the information that appears in the Harry Potter books. I don't think I'd read a side book like this for any series, but having lived and grown up with these books it's essential reading!

The way that Rowling describes the development of the game seems very realistic, and is somewhat reminiscent of the history of 'real' modern day sports (sorry to any 11 year olds waiting for their Hogwarts letter reading this, we all did it!), even down to the fact that America has a different main sport and haven't quite caught on to Quidditch.

The diagrams in it are very basic, though this doesn't take anything away from the book, just adds to its charm. The only real problem I had with it are that some of the 'diary' entries were in a font that was very difficult to read (though I can understand why it was done), and the writing in the newspaper articles was quite small. Minor issues really!

This can only be a short review to go with a short book, but if you're like me and have grown up and loved the Harry Potter books then you should read this! Its quick, fun and easy to read!