Saturday, 23 February 2013

Book: Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

After spending a long time trying to read and find anything to read after my last reread of aSoIaF, I finally gave into the suggestions of Robin Hobb (partly I must admit because I can not be bothered to go and find my copy of the Final Empire which my parents moved into a box in the garage. And I am glad I did! Assassin's Apprentice has a good depth, and the story is multi-layered, though sometimes it is a little confusing to work out what is going on, and occassionally you want to yell at Fitz that he is being amazingly dumb not figuring things out, but those are the kind of books that I like, the ones that makes you want to be there for one reason or another.

The one thing I found particularly confusing was the magic system, I was unsure what to make of it, though that could have just been through misunderstanding. Having now started the second book the Skill at least is making more sense, and the Wit made more sense to begin with! (Couldn't shake off the feeling of warging though!)

I also like the way that not everything goes right for the hero, he doesn't get the girl, doesn't get treated good all the time, it just adds depth and makes the character far more likeable! Well worth a read!